As of this Monday, several subjects will be out of the Perception Regime of the Income Tax that is applied in conjunction with the PAIS Tax. This was provided by General Resolution (AFIP) 5123 when modifying General Resolution (AFIP) 4815.
“It is important to note that this should always have been the case, since a subject who is exempt from income tax should not suffer or withholdings or earnings“, explains Sebastián Domínguez, Partner of SDC Asesores Tributarios.
In this regard, the taxpayer pointed out that “however, it is still pending that the AFIP contemplates that Nor are the perceptions of those who have processed and obtained certificates of non-withholding and perception Income tax “.
Those who will not suffer perceptions for making purchases in foreign currency with debit and credit cards that pay in pesos, for the purchase of tourism services abroad, tickets to abroad, among others, are:
1) Entities exempt from taxes by national laws.
2) Cooperative societies.
3) Religious institutions.
4) Associations, foundations and civil entities of social assistance, public health, charity, charity, education and instruction, scientific, literary, artistic, trade union and those of physical or intellectual culture.
5) Mutual entities.
6) Sports and physical culture associations.
7) International non-profit institutions, with legal status, with headquarters established in the Argentine Republic.
The requirement to have this benefit of non-perception is that they have the certificate of recognition of the exemption In the current income tax, in accordance with the provisions of General Resolution (AFIP) 2681.
What is the PAIS tax
The Tax for an Inclusive and Solidarity Argentina, or PAIS, is a percentage that must be paid on certain operations in foreign currency.
When should the PAIS Tax be paid
It must be paid when the following operations are carried out:
- Purchase of foreign currency for savings, including traveler’s checks. Those who buy foreign currency to pay obligations should not pay the tax.
- Foreign currency exchange carried out by financial entities on behalf and order of the tenant or borrower acquirer.
- It will be applied to currency exchanges that are used to pay for goods or services abroad. that are canceled with credit, purchase, debit cards or any other equivalent means of payment, including withdrawals or cash advances made abroad.
- Too purchases in foreign currency made from portals or virtual sites are included or any other modality.
- Foreign currency exchange carried out by financial entities on behalf and order of the resident contractor in the country.
- It will be applied to currency changes that are destined to the payment of services provided by non-resident subjects in the country that are canceled with credit, purchase, debit cards or any other equivalent means of payment.
- Payment of services abroad hired through travel and tourism agencies in the country.
- Payment of passenger transport services with destination outside the country. The tax must not be paid by those who contract, in the country, passenger land transport services bound for neighboring countries.