` – Two life sentences and two sentences of 27 years and 24 years and 6 months for four defendants– This was decided by the judges of the third Court of Assizes of Rome, after 9 hours in council chamber, in the trial for the murder of Desiree Mariottini, the 16.year.old from Cisterna di Latina, who died on 19 October 2018 in an abandoned building in via dei Lucani, in the Roman district of San Lorenzo.
Mamadou Gara and Yussef Salia sentenced to the maximum sentence. A 27.year sentence was imposed on Alinno Chima instead. Brian Minthe sentenced to 24 years and 6 months, but that he returns free due to the expiry of the terms of pre.trial detention–
One “of the condemned returned free due to deadline and this should not have happened. I was expecting a completely different sentence, I was expecting life imprisonment for everyone. I am very angry”, comments Barbara Mariottini, mother of Desire’e. “She was a 16.year.old girl — They left her after 4 hours of agony,” added the woman with a broken voice.
The prosecutor of Rome, Stefano Pizza, had asked for a life sentence for everyone. The accusations were, depending on the position, from voluntary murder, to aggravated sexual violence, to the transfer of drugs to minors.
These, however, the stages of the story:
- October 19, 2018: Desiree’s lifeless body is found in the night
- 25 October 2018: first arrests by the police of the Rome mobile squad and the San Lorenzo police station. These are the Senegalese Mamadou Gara and Brian Minteh. The Nigerian Alinno Chima and the Ghanaian Yusif Salia also end up in handcuffs.
- June 21, 2019: the Rome prosecutor’s office closes the investigations and challenges the four of them with the crime of conspiracy to commit murder, group sexual violence and the transfer and administration of drugs to a minor. According to the deputy prosecutor Maria Monteleone and the prosecutor Stefano Pizza, the four Africans allegedly abused the girl in turn after making her take a mix of drugs that resulted in her death.
- October 8, 2019: at the preliminary hearing, the civil action of the Campidoglio, the Lazio Region, Telefono Rosa and the associations ‘Together with Marianna’ and ‘Dont’t worry.We can Onlus’ form a civil party.
- 21 October 2019: the gup Clementina Forleo signs the indictments
- January 15, 2020: the third court of assizes decides to celebrate the hearing in the Rebibbia bunker hall behind closed doors.
- October 9, 2020: in the San Lorenzo district, the participation path starts which will involve citizens for the redevelopment of via dei Lucani. This was illustrated by the mayor of Rome, Virginia Raggi, the city planning councilor Luca Montuori and the president of the Municipality II Francesca Del Bello. From cultural and creative space to multifunctional district, with places for recreational and sporting activities. All with an eye to environmental sustainability.
- November 14, 2020: from the Rebibbia bunker room, the trial moves to the crime scene, with an inspection of the assize court, prosecutors and lawyers in the abandoned building in via dei Lucani, where Desiree died.
- December 14, 2020: the prosecutor asks for life imprisonment, with daytime solitary confinement for one year, for the defendants. Mamadou Gara’s acquittal solicited only in relation to the accusations of drug transfer and induction into prostitution.
- April 12, 2021: the gup inflicts 6 years in prison on Antonella Fauntleroy, the woman accused of supplying drugs to Desire’e. The defendant, of African descent, was accused of selling drugs to a minor in the context of an abridged trial with an abbreviated procedure. The prosecutor had asked for 8 years in prison