by | Dr. Abdel Rahman Mohamed, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Elm Pharmacies
Science is the weapon of the strong, and with it, individuals and societies can rise to civilization at all times. Nations, old and new, are looking for science as a means of progress and advancement, and to place themselves in the race of civilization, benefiting from all previous experiences. The pharmacist, as a member of the medical staff, has an important role in maintaining the health of the community, within the framework of his specialization and professional and humanitarian responsibilities. Many misconceptions and overlapping concepts have spread about the pharmacist in general and the community pharmacy in particular, as it is considered the first observer of public health in the community.
The severity of kidney stones:
Most of the public are surprised by the presence of kidney stones after entering the hospital unfortunately!!!
Kidney stones are a mass of salts deposited in the kidneys as a result of an increase in their percentage in the urine, whose symptoms are:
• A burning feeling while urinating
• Pain in the side and under the ribs
Therefore, you should pay attention when symptoms of kidney stones appear and go to a specialist to avoid complications such as:
Heavy and persistent bleeding
• Kidney damage
• Causing a persistent infection of the urinary system.
• Sometimes you may need a surgical intervention if the stones are large.
Causes of kidney stones
• Lack of drinking water.
• Increasing the consumption of table salt.
• Unnecessary use of calcium and vitamin C supplements.
• Increasing the consumption of sugars and fructose sugar.
• Using some medications, such as antibiotics, without referring to the doctor or pharmacist.
How to prevent kidney stones
• Drink 2-3 liters of water daily.
• Reducing the consumption of table salt and sugars (including diet sugar).
• Doing sports as much as possible.
• Eat fruits, especially oranges and lemons.
• Maintaining blood pressure and sugar and follow-up medications constantly with the specialist doctor.
• Reducing the consumption of soft drinks
• A urine analysis can be done to check if there are symptoms from the above.