The bathing season this year is particularly deadly. According to data received from MDA, since the beginning of the season, 151 people and children in Israel have drowned in need of help, of whom 27 people drowned. Most of the drownings occurred in the Mediterranean, where 16 people drowned.
The most surprising area is the Dead Sea – where 3 people drowned. MDA explains that despite the widespread explanation that it is not possible to drown on the spot, even there there is such a danger, which usually occurs due to swallowing a large amount of water when the body is upside down.
In addition, MDA repeatedly warns parents against drowning toddlers in private pools and water reservoirs. Himself out of the water and thus he may drown.
“The next case can be prevented”
Eli Bin, MDA’s director general, notes that since the beginning of the bathing season, MDA teams have dealt with many drowning cases. The following case can be avoided and we appeal to the public to make every effort to be careful and preserve our lives and the lives of our child, in close proximity to water sources, hiking and private pools. Bathing should only take place on declared beaches and during the hours when the rescue services operate on the beach. I ask the public to follow the careful instructions, and remember that one second of inattention is enough for a high price to be charged. “
- MDA details the precautionary rules. Change them well and remember that they can save lives.
- Only bathe on beaches and declared pools that are supervised by a lifeguard, and while there are rescue services. Do not enter the water after the lifeguard’s hours of operation at the beach or pool.
- Always remain within the eye’s eye of the rescuer. If you do not see him, he probably does not see you either and you may be in danger.
- Dangerous games should be avoided. Do not play “drowning games” in the water, do not jump on anyone in the water or jump headfirst in shallow water, for fear of damaging the spine and head. In addition, to avoid slipping and injury, make sure children do not run around the edge of the pool.
- Always swim in areas under your control. If you are tired, get out of the water, drink and rest in a shady place.
- Do not swim in the breakwater area. Strong vortices may form in this area that pull to the bottom of the sea.
- Bathing in the sea under the influence of alcohol is forbidden and dangerous, especially when children are under your supervision.
- It is important to keep in mind that infants and children up to the age of 5 are a population prone to drowning. As mentioned, their heads are heavy and large relative to the body and the center of their body weight is higher, which can cause them to turn over when their head pulls forward into the pool / sea water or even a tub or tub.
- It is important to stay away from the children in the water at all times and concentrate only on them. If you enter the water with several children, have another responsible adult stay by their side. Remember, drowning happens in seconds!
- Floats, sea wheels and the like give a false sense of security. Remember that these items do not provide complete protection for the child from the dangers of drowning, so it is important to take care of children even when they are equipped with them.
- Toddlers and children should not be left near water sources without close supervision. A toddler can slip in seconds, and the injury can be particularly severe, as a head injury from such a fall can cause significant damage.
- In private pools, every passage towards the pool must be fenced and sealed as long as there is no adult in the area who can look after toddlers and children.