Just the day before the start of the Tour de France in Copenhagen, the Copenhagen Police, with a judge’s ruling in hand, have started a search of the Scandic Hotel in Glostrup.
This is confirmed by the hotel’s management to Ekstra Bladet.
The hotel hosts the cycling team Bahrain Victorious, which on Wednesday evening was part of the large-scale team presentation in Tivoli, and which on Friday runs out on the single start in the streets of Copenhagen.
– The police arrived at around 6 this morning and have started a court order, says director Jeroen Bishop.
He has not been informed as to why the police are present or what they are doing. However, Ekstra Bladet’s man on the scene says that the police’s work concerns the cycling team. As can be seen from the pictures.
Bahrain Victorious is coming to the Tour de France with profiles like Luis León Sánchez, Jack Haig and Matej Mohoric.
Ekstra Bladet has spoken with Lars Karlsen, who is deputy police inspector in the Copenhagen Police.
He confirms that police are present at the Scandic Hotel, but will not confirm whether the work concerns the Tour de France team.
– We are present at a hotel in Brøndby. It is a police operation in a current case that does not pose any danger to the citizens, he says.
– We will later update on Twitter, says Lars Karlsen.
He will therefore also not state why the Copenhagen Police are on an operation in an area that otherwise belongs to the other police district, Copenhagen West Region Police.
According to Ekstra Bladet’s correspondent, the police’s technical department has also been at work at the hotel. In addition to Bahrain Victorious, the French team Groupama FDJ also lives in the hotel.
Has happened before
This is the second time this week that the team with roots in Bahrain has been visited by the police. As recently as Monday – shortly before leaving for Denmark – the riders received an unexpected visit from the police. It wrote the team on its website.
– The investigation of the team members, which started last year without leading to anything, continues just before the start of the most important cycling race, the Tour de France, and damages both the individual and the team’s reputation.
– Due to the recent investigations, the team feels that the timing of this investigation is specifically trying to damage the team’s reputation, the team wrote.
Bahrain Victorious was also searched by police during last year’s Tour de France.