It was worth the wait for Lionel Messi’s first goal in the Paris Saint.Germain uniform. It did not happen in the home premiere in the league nor in the first game in the Champions League, but tonight (Tuesday) it came – in the home premiere in the Champions League. The Argentine did so symbolically against his former coach Pep Guardiola and set up a 0.2 draw against Manchester City to give PSG their first home win. Idrissa Gay scored in the eighth minute, the English champion was left frustrated after a series of misses, at the peak of Bernardo Silva who kicked from two meters to the crossbar.
* Lionel Messi has scored seven goals against Manchester City in the Champions League – more than any other player. He also scored seven against Pep Guardiola’s teams, which no one else did.
* Messi also has a perfect balance in home games against Pep: he scored a double for Barcelona against Pep Munich in the semi.finals in 2015 on the way to winning, two years later he had a hat.trick for Manchester City and now his first win and first goal at PSG ‘.
* Messi has scored 27 goals in 35 games against English rivals in the Champions League. The next in line has 15 goals less.
* Like Benzema who did it at the same time, Messi also wins in 17 consecutive Champions League seasons. They are the new highs, with Cristiano Ronaldo and Ryan Giggs behind them with 16 each.
* Manchester City lost in the home leg for the first time since September 2018, and even then it was against a French rival – 2: 1 to Lyon. Her streak stopped at 18 games.
Lionel Messi He said at the end to Canal: “They were a great opponent. For us it was very important to win the game after the draw we made against Bruges. I am very happy I won. I was recently prevented from playing and it was only my second game in this stadium. I adapt to my new team. “As we continue to play together, our relationship will improve. We all need to grow together and get better and continue to give our best.”
Kimpamba Personnel, Paris Saint.Germain stopper: “We are very happy for Leo. He is a fantastic, phenomenal player.”
Nicolas Anelka, RMC commentator: “That’s why Messi should not be taken out. You never know when he’s going to conquer.”
Gianluigi Donaroma, Who made his Champions League debut and kept a clean sheet, was pleased: “It was my dream to play in the Champions League. I am very, very happy now. I was relaxed because I believed this day would come.”
Pep Guardiola He said: “We had a good performance, we did everything. We defended properly, we dealt with their dangerous attacks. Sometimes they win and sometimes they lose, but my team was there, like at Stamford Bridge. We played to win, but unfortunately they did not need too much to “Win and do it. They have fantastic qualities, everyone knows that. We should have conquered and not conquered. Now we can have a good meal, have a glass of wine and then we will recover and start preparing for Liverpool on Sunday.”
At the press conference, the Manchester City coach added: “It is impossible to take over Leo for 90 minutes. He is unstoppable. If Leo is happy in Paris, I am happy for him. He made me so happy in Barcelona. Varati is an outstanding player, he is always capable “Find Messi. They are exceptional players, you can’t stop them for 90 minutes.”