Nobel Peace Prize winner Carlos Belo accused of abusing children for 20 years  News

A new abuse scandal shakes the Vatican!

The small state has confirmed disciplinary measures against a Nobel Peace Prize-winning bishop who is said to have sexually abused underage boys over a period of 20 years. The terrible acts are said to have taken place in East Timor (Southeast Asia).

The case of Bishop Carlos Belo (74) was first investigated by the Vatican in 2019, Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni said on Thursday after Belo had been publicly accused of abusing young people and buying their silence.

The vague statement of the Catholic Church: “In light of the allegations” received by the Vatican, “certain disciplinary restrictions were imposed on Belo” in September 2020, Bruni explained.

“These included restrictions on his freedom of movement and the exercise of his duties, bans on voluntary contact with minors, interviews and contacts” with East Timor, Bruni added. These measures were “modified and tightened” in 2021.

On Wednesday, the Dutch weekly De Groene Amsterdammer published investigations alleging that Belo was accused of molesting teenagers from the 1980s to 2000.

Together with the current President José Ramos-Horta (72), Belo received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1996 for his commitment to human rights during the Indonesian occupation of East Timor.

By Editor

Leave a Reply