Iran’s Atomic Energy Agency announced tonight (Sunday to Monday) that the temporary shutdown at the Bushehr nuclear reactor was caused by a “technical malfunction.” The agency did not elaborate too much on the malfunction, but said it was caused as a result of a power outage. It was also written that the Minister of Energy had been notified the day before.
The director of the nuclear facility explained in an interview with local media: “Since Saturday, we have experienced a reduction in the supply of electricity by 1,000 megawatts in production.” The Iran Atomic Energy Agency said that “after the fault is rectified in the coming days, the facility will be reconnected and reopened.”
Last April, the agency announced that due to economic problems caused, among other things, by US sanctions, a problem could arise in the production of electricity at the reactor – which would lead to the cessation of its activities. This is due to difficulty in maintaining and purchasing the materials necessary for its regular operation.
This announcement comes after talks between Iran and the powers regarding the return to the nuclear agreement were temporarily suspended yesterday. “We are closer than ever to an agreement, but there are still large gaps that are difficult to bridge,” an Iranian spokesman for the nuclear talks, Abbas Arkady, explained.