The IAEA chief has returned pessimistically from Iran and warns: We will not soon know what is happening there

Days to resume nuclear talks: Rafael Grossi announced that he had failed to persuade Iran to give its people access to the Centrifuge plant in Karage and resume surveillance camera activity there. “I made great efforts, but we did not get results,” he admitted. “The moment is approaching when I can not make sure that we maintain the continuity of supervision”

The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Grossi, made a very pessimistic statement at noon (Wednesday) on his return from Iran, where he tried to resolve with the regime in Tehran a series of disputes related to monitoring the country’s nuclear program – less than a week ago To the nuclear agreement signed in 2015.

Grossi traveled to Iran in an attempt to reach an agreement with the Iranians on the reinstallation of IAEA cameras to monitor the production of centrifuge parts that Tehran manufactures, and to discuss with them the rather invasive searches Iran has begun conducting IAEA inspectors, making them feel threatened. The IAEA also continues to wait for responses from Iran on uranium particles it found in some old Iranian facilities that the Iranian regime has not declared at all, a discovery that has raised suspicions about the goals of the Iranian nuclear program.

“Although I made great efforts, we were unable to achieve clear results,” Grossi said at a news conference today, upon his return from Tehran. He noted that no progress had been made on a number of issues between Tehran and the IAEA. Grossi himself stressed that the most important issue was the IAEA’s demand for access to the Karag plant where Iran manufactures parts for the centrifuges used to enrich uranium for the nuclear program. . This is a factory that was attacked in June this year by a sabotage operation that Tehran attributed to Israel: In this sabotage operation, four IAEA cameras were destroyed, after which Iran removed all surveillance cameras, and now it is not known where the photographs were and are supposed to be used by the IAEA to monitor the nuclear program . Iran promised to give the IAEA access to the facility two months ago, but did not do so. “We are close to a point where I can not make sure we maintain our knowledge continuity,” Grossi said at a news conference, referring to the IAEA’s ability to monitor the facility.

Grossi holds the press conference as part of the first day of the IAEA Board of Governors’ meeting, a body that includes 35 countries. At that time it was possible to transfer a significant amount of material or equipment for use in the development of nuclear weapons.
Grossi admitted that even now, five months after the sabotage operation, he does not know if the Karag factory is active: “I have no idea what’s going on,” he said.

The disagreement presented by Grossi may complicate the indirect talks that will begin this coming Monday in Vienna between Iran and the United States on a return to the 2015 nuclear deal. In return, most of the sanctions imposed on it in the last two decades have been lifted. In 2018, the United States withdrew from this agreement on the orders of Donald Trump, who, like Israel, stated that it was a bad agreement that allowed Iran to continue its terrorist activities while rehabilitating Its economy. In response, Iran has begun to allow itself more and more of its commitments to the agreement, and is now enriching uranium to a very high rate, of about 60%.

In the days since the amendment, the European Union and its European allies were expected to pressure Iran to comply with the IAEA’s demands by trying to pass a resolution against it at a meeting of the IAEA Board of Governors, but diplomats say they are unlikely to do so now. The talks that will begin next week.

By Editor