Dramatic turnaround: Iranian officials have admitted for the past 48 hours that Iran has a plan to launch an offensive atomic bomb – we published this evening (Sunday) in the main edition. According to officials, this is a plan devised by Muhsin Fahrizadeh, which according to foreign sources was eliminated by Israel about a year ago. The nuclear talks in Vienna will open tomorrow, and Iran will explain to the world: We are at a new starting point.
Iranian officials have twice acknowledged within 48 hours the existence of the plan and the capability for a military nuclear bomb. The first time was that a senior Iranian army official said he already had the ability and capability to do so, but that Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei should confirm this, having issued a religious halakhic ruling forbidding it.
The second and more significant time was when the former head of the Atomic Energy Agency in Iran, Pyridon Abbasi Radni, said that the same Fahrizadeh, who according to foreign sources eliminated Israel about a year ago, had prepared an offensive bomb plan – not only to protect Iran but also to serve other countries threatened by Israel – like Syria and Iraq.
The Iranians will sit down tomorrow for the nuclear talks in Vienna, when they will come and say that this is the new starting point: “We can and do know how to make the bomb.” They will add that the centrifuge factory in Karag is out of bounds, and no inspectors will enter it. Another thing they will say to the world – the discussions are not about changes to an agreement that was in 2015, but discussions about the complete removal of the sanctions including a mechanism that will prevent the United States from imposing them again.
Iran announced earlier this month that talks with the superpowers would resume in Vienna on November 29 – with the participation of EU, China, France, Britain, Russia and Iran representatives. The announcement comes after a months-long hiatus, amid tensions between Tehran and Washington over the Iranian oil tanker’s takeover of the Gulf.
Tehran nuclear chief negotiator Ali Bagri Kani said that “in a telephone conversation with Enrique Murka (EU envoy for talks) we agreed to start negotiations aimed at removing the illegal and inhumane sanctions.” In April, although Tehran and the superpowers began discussing a return to the nuclear deal, with which the United States withdrew in 2018, they have been frozen in June since Ibrahim Raisi took office as president of Iran.