A “disappointing” break in the nuclear talks. Documentation from the centrifuge factory disappears: “Very strange”

Negotiations in Vienna have been temporarily halted at Tehran’s request, and Europe has expressed disappointment: “We are fast approaching the end of the road.” At the same time, the nuclear agency is also expressing concern: The storage device of one of the surveillance cameras in a factory that Israel allegedly validated has “disappeared”

Talks between Iran and the powers on a return to the nuclear deal were halted yesterday (Friday), amid much pessimism in the West about the chances of successful negotiations, given the tough demands made by Tehran. The current halt to the talks came at Iran’s request, and European powers described it as a “disappointing” move – while talks need to be conducted more quickly, and in the background Iran’s fears of the ability to develop nuclear weapons.

This is the second break in talks in Vienna, the Austrian capital, since it resumed about two weeks ago after a five-month hiatus – a period during which a more radical Iranian government was formed than its predecessor, in Iranian terms, led by President Ibrahim Raisi. Since then, the ayatollahs’ regime has made very strict demands, and it has shaken off the agreements that have already been reached in previous rounds of negotiations.

The Iranian conduct of the talks provoked the wrath of the Western powers, who repeatedly warned that there was not much time left to save the agreement. Even now they have expressed resentment at the temporary cessation of talks and the return of the Iranian delegation to consultations in Tehran. “We do not have months, we only have weeks to reach an agreement,” the EU envoy for talks, Enrique More, said yesterday at a press conference announcing the end of the seventh round of talks. He expressed hope that the eighth round would resume before the end of the year, ie in less than two weeks. The Reuters news agency reported that the date examined for the resumption of talks is December 27.

The nuclear deal, it will be recalled, was signed in 2015 under the leadership of US President Barack Obama, under which Iran pledged to greatly reduce its nuclear activities and open them up for surveillance, making it more difficult for it to develop nuclear weapons. In 2018, the United States withdrew from this agreement on the orders of Donald Trump, who, like Israel, stated that it was a bad agreement that would allow Iran to continue its terrorist activities while rehabilitating its economy. In response, Iran has begun to allow itself more and more of its commitments to the agreement, and is now enriching uranium to a very high rate, of about 60%.

In recent months, the remaining powers in the agreement – Russia, China, Germany, Britain and France – have tried to bring Washington and Tehran back to it, drawing encouragement from the fact that the new US administration, led by Joe Biden, has expressed willingness to reinstate the talks. Since the spring, large gaps have been discovered between the parties, and in the West, as mentioned, they are very pessimistic about their chances of success.

The break now in talks was made at Iran’s request, while Western powers hoped the current round would last until Tuesday. Tehran did not explain their request for a halt to the talks. Iranian envoy to Vienna, Ali Bagari Kanye, yesterday called on his colleagues to accept Iran’s ‘reasonable positions’. “If they do, the next round of talks could be the last,” he said.

Britain, Germany and France, the three European powers that have signed the agreement, have expressed disappointment with the cessation of talks now. “We hope that Iran will return to the talks quickly and conduct itself constructively so that the talks can proceed at a faster pace,” the three countries said in a joint statement. They, too, warned that there were only “weeks” left until there was no point in going back to the 2015 agreement: “We are moving very quickly to the end of the talks,” they said.

In Washington, too, they continued to broadcast nightmares last night about the time to reach an agreement, amid warnings from the Biden administration that if the talks fail – the US has “other options”, of course hinting at the possibility of an attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities. Iran’s time for the bombing is “very short.” It refers to the time it will take for Iran to obtain enough enriched uranium for one nuclear weapon, if it decides to do so. The hardships of penetrating the atmosphere.

According to the US source, who remained anonymous, the time of Iran’s bombing is not clear at the moment, but it is months. “It’s very short, short on an unacceptable level,” he said. He added that under pressure from the United States, a representative of the US Treasury Department was sent to the United Arab Emirates this week – warning private companies there about violating sanctions on Iran. The cause.

Along with Iran’s tough demands in talks, another obstacle that threatens to complicate them is Iran’s current restrictions on International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) inspectors, as part of its widespread breaches of the terms of the agreement. Iran has announced that it will allow the IAEA to replace its surveillance cameras at a factory in the city of Karaj, where components for uranium enrichment centrifuges are manufactured. But now it turns out that the issue has not been fully resolved, and that a storage facility of one of the cameras from there has “disappeared.”

The Karag factory, it will be recalled, was attacked last June in a sabotage operation that Iran attributes to Israel, and in the same attack one of the IAEA’s four cameras was damaged in the factory. A, Rafael Grossi, has warned in recent weeks that the disappearance of information from the damaged or removed cameras creates a kind of “black hole” for the IAEA – and that it is unable to know what happened during the operation. Bo for the development of nuclear weapons.

On Wednesday, as mentioned, Iran agreed to replace the cameras, but the same agreement did not address the issue of documentation that was in the camera that was damaged in the sabotage operation in June. Reuters notes that after the same operation and removal of the other three cameras, Iran presented them to the nuclear inspectors, but not the storage device in which the videos from the fourth surveillance camera were damaged.

“We have doubts about that, and that’s why we’re asking, ‘Where is it?’ If indeed it can be believed that the same storage device has simply disappeared. “I hope they are going to come back with an answer, because it is very strange that it is gone,” he added.

It should be noted that as part of another agreement reached between Iran and the IAEA last February, even if the nuclear agency receives this storage device, it will still not be able to access the videos in it. At the press conference yesterday, Grossi noted that his men could not ascertain whether the centrifugal plant in Karage had resumed operations since the sabotage operation in June, as already reported in the Wall Street Journal, but said it “made sense to conclude that advanced centrifuges had been installed. Recently at the underground facility in Purdue came from there.

By Editor

Leave a Reply