Israel admits to having carried out the attack that killed foreign aid workers – Poland and Britain demand an investigation – Foreign countries

In the attack on the convoy of the World Central Kitchen aid organization, Polish and British citizens are said to have died, among others.

American The World Central Kitchen (WCK) aid organization accuses Israel of a “targeted attack” on the organization.

The night before Tuesday, seven aid workers of the organization were killed in an attack by the Israeli armed forces in the city of Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip, news agencies reported. WCK has been bringing food to Gaza since March.

According to the organization, among the dead were its Australian, British, Palestinian and Polish employees. Among the dead was also a dual citizen of Canada and the United States.

Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu admitted on Tuesday afternoon that the Israeli armed forces were responsible for the attack, but insisted that there was no intention to kill the aid workers.

“That’s how it goes in war,” he said, adding that Israel was investigating the attack.

Earlier in the day, the spokesman for the armed forces Daniel Hagari had apologized for the attack and promised Israel would investigate.

News agency AP:n according to a rescuer interviewed by the Palestinian Red Crescent, the aid workers were returning by car from northern Gaza, where they had been distributing aid brought by ship. British newspaper of The Guardian at the time of the attack, the employees were traveling in armored vehicles with the organization’s insignia.

Israeli Haaretz magazine sources close to the armed forces said the army fired three missiles at the convoy of aid workers on a route approved in advance by the Israeli army.

Also according to Haaretz’s sources, WCK’s logos were visible on the cars. According to the newspaper, the target of the attack would have been a member of the extremist organization Hamas, whom the representative of the armed forces who was monitoring the convoy claimed to have seen in one of the vehicles.

Investigative journalism group Bellingcat posted on Tuesday afternoon analysis of the blow. According to the group’s research, WCK’s car shows signs of a targeted missile strike.

 

 

UN workers examine a World Central Kitchen car in Gaza on Tuesday.

Representation from the countries whose citizens have reportedly died in the attack, commented on what happened on Tuesday.

The British Foreign Office confirmed on Tuesday evening that three British citizens were killed in the attack. Britain also summoned the Israeli ambassador for an interview over the matter.

Foreign minister David Cameron said in the afternoon that Britain demands from Israel a full and transparent explanation of what happened.

“These people worked to deliver life-saving aid to those who desperately need it. It is vital that humanitarian aid workers are protected and able to do their jobs,” he wrote in X.

“Poland does not accept that international law is not respected or that civilians, including aid workers, are not protected,” said Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Poland in X and offered his condolences to the family of the deceased Polish volunteer.

According to the news agency AFP, the foreign minister Radosław Sikorski said in a video message that he demanded an “immediate explanation” from the Israeli ambassador in Warsaw for what happened and announced that Poland would also start its own investigation.

Australian prime minister Anthony Albanese confirmed early Tuesday morning that one of the dead was an Australian. He says that he has been in contact with the Israeli government and the country’s ambassador to Australia.

“This is unacceptable,” Albanese told the broadcaster ABC:n by. “Aid workers and all civilians must be protected.”

Spokesman for the US National Security Council Adrienne Watson wrote in Xthat humanitarian workers must be protected, as they bring much-needed aid to the region, and that the United States demands that Israel quickly investigate what has happened.

Also Canadian Foreign Minister Melanie Joly condemned the attack on Tuesday and said it would demand full accountability from Israel.

Also WCK comment on the attack message service in X soon after it happened.

“This is a tragedy. Humanitarian aid workers and civilians should never be targets. Never.”

Founder of WCK Jose Andres commented on the attack the night before Tuesday in X saying that “World Central Kitchen lost several brothers and sisters in an airstrike by the Israeli armed forces”.

Andrés called on the Israeli government to stop the “indiscriminate killing” and to stop hindering the access of humanitarian aid and using hunger as a weapon.

Al-Jazeeran said it was likely the first time foreign aid workers had died in Gaza since the start of the war.

According to al-Jazeera, the dead were brought to al-Aqsa hospital, where the channel’s reporter described people as being shocked that Israel has attacked foreign citizens.

“Earlier today … I spoke to these aid workers, I asked them questions … and I saw them being killed today. We saw their IDs, we saw their passports,” said the journalist Hind Khoudary.

Palestine According to the Red Crescent the bodies of the killed aid workers are transferred from al-Aqsa by road to Egypt.

Due to the attack, World Central Kitchen has had to temporarily suspend its operations in Gaza. The aid ship that was on its way from Cyprus to Gaza will also have to turn back, said the spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Cyprus Theodoros Gotsis according to al-Jazeera. However, according to the Cypriot authorities, aid deliveries will continue, reports news agency AFP.

A man wearing a WCK shirt was crouched over the bodies of aid workers at al-Aqsa Hospital on Monday.

By Editor

Leave a Reply