First autopsy results: After the police operation in Mannheim – the body shows signs of violence

After the death of a man when he was arrested by the police in downtown Mannheim, the investigative authorities have announced further details. According to the first results of the autopsy, traces of blunt but not massive violence were found on the victim, the head of the Baden-Württemberg State Criminal Police Office, Andreas Stenger, told journalists in Mannheim on Wednesday. The 47-year-old suffered from heart failure.

The exact cause of death could only be determined after further investigations, said Stenger. The final autopsy report will only be available in six to eight weeks. The investigators are now in the process of evaluating witness statements, videos of passers-by and surveillance cameras in order to reconstruct the entire process “with millimeter paper precision,” said Stenger.

According to earlier police information, a doctor from the Central Institute for Mental Health in Mannheim informed the police on Monday about a patient who needed help because of self-endangerment. The police picked up the man in downtown Mannheim. He is said to have resisted the police.

The 47-year-old is said to have collapsed and “needed to be resuscitated for reasons that have not yet been clarified”. After half an hour of first aid, he remained unconscious. Rescue workers took him to the university hospital, where he died.

Flowers, candles and signs lie and stand at the place where the man from Mannheim died.Photo: René Priebe / PR-Video / dpa

Since the man’s death, the police have faced severe criticism. Videos have been circulating online showing a police officer beating a man lying on the ground in the head. It remains unclear why the police officers did not activate their body cams on their bodies during the operation.

According to the investigators, the man had no Turkish roots, contrary to what was initially publicly assumed. He was born in Heidelberg and, as a Croatian, adopted German citizenship in 2017.

Disciplinary proceedings were initiated against the two police officers involved, as the Mannheim police chief Siegfried Kollmar announced. They are currently suspended from duty. According to the public prosecutor’s office, the officials have not yet commented on the process. To his knowledge, they have not yet become conspicuous, said the senior public prosecutor at the Mannheim public prosecutor’s office, Romeo Schuessler. (AFP, dpa)

By Editor

Leave a Reply