The World Health Organization today (Tuesday) released disturbing data on the aftermath of the war in Ukraine, which showed that since February 24, when Russia invaded its neighbor, at least 3,000 people have died after not being able to access medical care to receive treatment for a chronic illness.
The organization also reported that since the outbreak of hostilities, about 200 cases have been documented in which the Russians have attacked health facilities and hospitals. According to them, the number of hospitals currently operating in Ukraine is particularly small.
“40% of households in Ukraine have at least one family member in need of care that can no longer be obtained. We estimate that at least 3,000 people have died so far as a result of the situation,” said organization chairman Theodros Adhanum Gavra-Yesus.
At the organization’s meeting, which took place in Copenhagen, but was also attended by many representatives virtually, participants were told that the World Health Organization is considering taking action against Russia, including a possible closure of the Moscow regional office.
Russia responded to the allegations against them, saying that “we believe that the World Health Organization, in addressing the issue of the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine, should be strictly guided by its constitutional provisions, adhere to the scope of its mandate, and not politicize on health cooperation.”
Meanwhile, Reuters reported that Western diplomats said the effort to try to suspend Russia from the World Health Organization board had been halted due to legal difficulties.