Poland urged citizens to leave Iran immediately

Prime Minister Donald Tusk called on all Polish citizens to leave Iran, while the US dispatched many forces to the Middle East.

“All citizens still in Iran need to leave immediately. Under no circumstances should there be plans to go to this country,” Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said at a press conference today.

Mr. Tusk also warned about the situation in Iran, saying that the possibility of armed conflict is “very real” and the possibility of evacuation may no longer be possible “within the next few dozen hours”.

The Polish Prime Minister also noted that previous evacuation warnings had been ignored, leading to serious consequences. “We have had bad experiences. Some people underestimate these types of calls,” he said.

 

Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk in Warsaw on February 14. Image: AFP

This is the second time Polish officials have called on citizens to leave Iran in recent months. The Polish government has not provided details on the number of citizens present in Iran. The country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs plans to issue additional guidance after Mr. Tusk’s call.

Radio CNN On February 18, citing knowledgeable sources, the US military was preparing for the possibility of attacking Iran, as early as this weekend, although President Donald Trump has not made a final decision.

US forces present near Iran include an aircraft carrier strike group, at least four E-3G Sentry early warning aircraft, dozens of F-15E, F-16, F-22 and F-35 fighters, and a large number of support aircraft and tankers. This is considered an unprecedented level of US air force presence in the Middle East in decades.

The information was released while the second round of negotiations between Iran and the US, mediated by Oman, took place in Switzerland. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi announced that the two sides had reached a “set of guiding principles” to negotiate and draft an agreement with the US.

By Editor