Accused of sexual violence, Gérard Darmon withdraws from presidency of the jury of a film festival

His appointment created controversy. The actor Gérard Darmon has decided to withdraw from the presidency of the jury of the First Film Festival in La Ciotat (Bouches-du-Rhône), the organization of the festival indicated to Le Parisien, confirming information from La Provence. The 78-year-old actor is accused by nine women of several acts of sexist and sexual violence which allegedly took place on several shoots between 2018 and 2024.

“The La Ciotat festival takes note of the decision of Gérard Darmon to renounce the presidency of the jury for this edition in order to preserve the serenity of the event,” indicated the La Ciotat Berceau du cinéma association, adding “to thank him for this decision taken in a spirit of responsibility and attachment to the event”.

On Thursday, the Feminist Collective, a collective from La Ciotat, reacted to the nomination of the actor in a press release, denouncing “a choice (which) arouses great concern and legitimate questions”. “We believe that it is the responsibility of the organizers and partners of a cultural event to measure the symbolic and concrete impact of this spotlight,” wrote the feminist group in an open letter co-signed by several other collectives based throughout France.

VideoGérard Darmon accused of sexist and sexual violence by 9 women

The festival jury will be chaired by director Jean-Pierre Améris, the festival organization also announced. The 43rd edition of the Premier Film Festival will be held from June 10 to 14 at the Eden Théâtre, the oldest operating cinema in the world.

“Inappropriate behavior and tactile gestures”

Questioned by our colleagues from La Provence, the artistic director of the festival Yves Alion explained that Gérard Darmon withdrew “with great sorrow” so as not to “harm the festival, at Éden, at La Ciotat, the cradle of cinema. »

The manager clarified that Gérard Darmon was not his initial choice. “I had my first four jurors, I needed a known actor. He wasn’t the first one I contacted, he was the first one who said yes to me. Once again, I don’t regret it. », he indicated, specifying that he was initially unaware of the accusations against the actor. “If there had been a complaint, I would obviously have asked myself the question,” Yves Alion told the regional daily.

In November 2024, an investigation by Politis magazine highlighted the testimonies of nine women, who had worked on shoots with the actor since 2018, reporting “inappropriate behavior and tactile gestures”. The actor had denied having been the author.

Women, mostly under 30, described an insistent, angry and gritty man, driven by a feeling of “omnipotence”. They also recounted the humiliations they allegedly suffered on the sets, propositions of a sexual nature and non-consensual physical contact.

By Editor

One thought on “Accused of sexual violence, Gérard Darmon withdraws from presidency of the jury of a film festival”

Leave a Reply