After the punishment for Germany – Trump announced: 5,000 American soldiers to Poland

Pete Hegseth canceled – Trump brought it back


Donald Trump, Pete Hegseth | Photo: REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

According to a current US official and another former official, Trump asked Geseth in a recent phone call why the deployment to Poland was canceled. In the conversation, the president clarified that there is no reason to “treat Poland in a bad way”, especially in light of its close relationship with the White House.

According to the report, such a move would allow Trump to both maintain close ties with Warsaw and punish Germany for its positions. At the same time, the step fits into a broader plan of the Pentagon to reduce the American commitment to the NATO alliance and transfer the responsibility for conventional defense to the European allies.

According to the New York Times, Trump’s U-turn is just the latest in a series of frenzied announcements that stunned the leaders of Poland, considered one of the United States’ most loyal allies in Europe. The Trump administration’s actions so far have drawn sharp criticism from both ends of the political spectrum in Washington, from lawmakers who warned that cutting forces in Eastern Europe would send a dangerous and wrong message to Russia.

The Pentagon refused to comment on the development yesterday (Thursday) and referred the questions to the White House. The silence of the Ministry of Defense leaves many questions in the air, including whether the army will now be forced to cut forces elsewhere in order to meet Trump’s broader goal: to force Europe to bear a more significant security burden, and allow the US to reduce its 80,000 troops on the continent.

Poland: Ready to build a small city for American soldiers

At this stage, Trump did not specify which units will be transferred to Poland, whether these are forces that will be diverted from other European countries, or whether it is a renewal of the canceled deployment. Earlier this month, the president said that it is possible that some of the soldiers who leave Germany will be stationed in Poland. One of the options examined in the Pentagon is the transfer of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment from Wilsk in Germany to the territory of Poland.


Carol Nabrotsky | Photo: Alex Brandon/Pool via REUTERS

“We have proposed to the Pentagon to host American soldiers on a regular basis,” he said. “We understand what this means – to build a small city for the unit – and we are ready to finance it,” he said, according to the publication in the Wall Street Journal.

Although Trump’s announcement is expected to allay some of the concerns in Poland, in the United States work continues on broader policy adjustments towards NATO. According to American officials, Washington is reducing the number of forces it undertakes to station in Europe. The move, on which the allies are expected to receive an update in the coming days, is intended to allow the United States to direct more forces to the Pacific Ocean region and the Western Hemisphere, in accordance with the Trump administration’s national defense strategy.

By Editor

One thought on “After the punishment for Germany – Trump announced: 5,000 American soldiers to Poland”

Leave a Reply