Trump: There is a ‘good chance’ of an Iran nuclear deal

President Donald Trump said on Monday there was a “very good chance” the United States could reach a deal with Iran to prevent Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons, hours after he said he was delaying a planned military strike to allow negotiations to continue. Trump said he had been asked by the leaders of key US allies in the Middle East to delay a military strike on Iran planned for Tuesday to allow talks with Tehran to continue, while warning that the US remained ready to launch a large-scale attack if no deal was reached.

“There seems to be a very good chance that they will come up with something. If we can do it without bombing them, I would be very happy,” Trump told reporters.

He specified that the request for the suspension of the military operation came from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

A day earlier, he said that Iran’s time is running out and that “they had better act quickly, otherwise there will be nothing left of them”.

Tehran announced on Monday that it had responded to a new proposal by the United States to end the war in the Middle East, which began on February 28 with the US and Israeli attack on Iran. A fragile truce has been in effect ​​since April 8.

But according to the latest reports, the positions of the two sides remained very far apart, according to France Presse.

According to Iran’s Fars news agency, Washington presented a five-point list that, among other things, requires Iran to maintain only one active nuclear facility and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States.

By Editor