Shooting near the Islamic Center in San Diego

An unknown assailant (according to some reports, there were two shooters) opened fire at an Islamic center in the Claremont neighborhood of San Diego on May 18 around noon local time. According to NBC San Diego, two people were killed.

The Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) confirmed the death of at least one mosque worshiper.

Sharp Memorial Hospital has activated its mass incident protocol and is receiving injuries, although the exact number has not yet been announced.

The Islamic center operates a school for children from preschool age to third grade. According to CBS, dozens of children were evacuated from the building during the shooting, forming human chains.

One eyewitness said that an armed man approached the center’s security guard, after which shots were fired.

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria said he is monitoring the situation and receiving updates from law enforcement. By 1 p.m., police announced the threat had been “neutralized” and no other suspects were being sought. Dozens of police officers and SWAT teams are on the scene, the Los Angeles Times and The Sun report.

By Editor